Warner & Sons has a long history of textile design
William Warner started out as a dyer in Spitalfields, East London in the 1600s. In its heyday during the first half of the 20th century, Warner & Sons employed some of the most innovative designers of their era including: William Morris, Owen Jones, Marianne Straub, Alec Hunter and Eddie Squires. Working with the weavers, the designers created fabrics that still decorate palaces, churches and stately homes today.
Alec Hunter joined the design studio in 1932
Where he worked on major fabric projects for the RIBA headquarters in 1934 and the University of London’s Senate House in 1938. Alec was appointed a director of the firm in 1943 and continued as production manager at Braintree, Essex until his death in 1958.
The Warner Textile Archive has a complete history of Warner and Sons. The collection is located in the original mill buildings in Braintree and holds 60,000 textiles, 10,000 paper designs and a wealth of supporting archive material.
Sadly none of the original fabrics designed by Alec Hunter remain in the building. The Victoria and Albert Museum, hold a small selection in their archive which is where the Deerleap fabric images by Alec Hunter was sourced from 1930.